Re:Teds troubles

From: Alan Short (ashort@flash.net)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 19:40:28 EST

> All the gauges are fine, temp, vacuum etc..Pinging is very random,but
> severe when it occurs. Truck runs fine under normal conditions. I got on it
> and got to 4000 rpm's no problem, Then the next time severe detonation
> ..whats up

It sounds similar to a bad belly pan gasket.
I had 2 of them go bad on me. I had random spark knocking, especially on the hwy
at a constant speed. It would rap pretty hard, right out of nowhere, then be
fine.
One thing though, I had oil smoke on startup with the blown belly pan.
Pull one of the vacuum caps off the side of the intake and see if its oily or
soft.
Also, look down the bore of the t/b and see if there's any oil residue.
You have to remove the intake to repair it, so I went for the M1 the second
time.... there's no belly pan gasket on a M1.
Alan S.