Re: Re:Ted needs a M1

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 12:55:18 EST

TEDSDAKOTA@aol.com wrote:

> NO it is not (by a long shot) smog legal.
>
> Latr,
>
> Shane
>
> Stupid question here. Why do you say that ? Its just an intake manifold right.

No real proof - just that the M1 (single-plane version) has been traditionally
associated with racing and not recommended for mostly street use. CC probably didn't
even pursue getting CARB cert. for the Cali. people. But you are right - its just an
intake and might not cause that much difference. When I lived in Memphis and had to
pass the sniffer - my truck passed so good that the guy said I could do lots to it
before not passing would be an issue. Then again, I read an article in Mopar Muscle
that said even swapping to a 180 thermo could cause you to fail. The degree of
testing varies so much from state to state (even county to county) that I wouldn't
take much stock in anyones advice. You'll find out 8-). I've heard that in some
parts of Michigan, during testing, they jack up your vehicle and run it at highway
speeds also and that the whole test takes about an hour and a half to complete! I've
heard that some states even have mobile units that sit on freeway onramps and test
your emissions as you pass by. If you fail - they tow your vehicle!

It will only get worse. Supposedly with OBDIII - after you pass one of their
checkpoints - if you fail, a satellite will disable your vehicle until you get it
fixed (no humans involved)! Don't laugh - they can do it now in some vehicles
(Cadillac comes to mind). Check out www.sae.org. Also it is interesting to note all
the tests that are continually being run on your OBDII trucks. Order HS-3000 ($75)
from SAE if you want all the technical details on OBDII.

Yesterday, while driving around with my wife looking at houses and land for sale, I
went down a dead-end road and after turning around coming back out - a guy (grown
man) was running across his yard trying to get me to stop. After stopping he begged
me to open my hood to see what I had in there. He said it sounded like a big block
with a nice cam as I went by. I was kinda surprised because I've still got factory
exhausts (manifolds and everthing) on my Indy. He liked to have fell out when I
popped the hood. He said "Man that looks factory - 'cept for that funny looking
intake manifold". He had a late model corvette and convertible camaro under the
garage. Guess that explains it 8-)).

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/Coil/Wires/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"