Re: Re: Synthetic Oil Stories

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 14:00:03 EST

> > Millions of machines have gotten by on regular oil for well over 100
> years.
> > There is absolutely no need for synthetic. That's my opinion anywayz

  Of course, just because something has always been done a certain way
doesn't mean its the best. Medicine is an excellent example of this.
Fortunately, none of us probably remember the days when doctors tried to
cure people by "bleeding" them. Whiskey and hacksaws have given way to
new surgical techniques and prosthetics, etc. There is always room for
advancement and innovation.

  Anyway, I will certainly concede that most of the vehicles driven today
probably don't need synthetics. A regular oil change schedule would do
them just fine. However, there are exceptions. For example, it is fairly
widely accepted that synthetic is better in a turbo motor due to its higher
tolerance for heat and the reduced chance of coking the bearings. Me,
I use synthetic in my Dak because I drag race it and generally drive it
harder than many people probably would on the street, so I like the added
buffer of protection it offers me. When the Dak gets turbocharged, I will
definitely continue using synthetic oil. :-) If your blower uses your
engine's oil supply, you might want to give synthetic some thought... If
it has its own resevoir, I wouldn't be surprised if its got a synthetic
lubricant running through its veins already. :-)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'