Re: More MPI install tips

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 17:17:45 EST

Bob Tom wrote:

> Hi, Shane.
>
> Thanks for the tips. I do have a couple of questions.
>
> <stuff deleted>
> Is the Chevy housing specific to any year or model? Any part no.?

They come in one of two flavors - early model (pre '72??) and late model - I
used the late model version. Sorry - I don't have the part number - the
packaging went into the trash already. Go to your local PrepBoys, Autozone,
or Advanced Auto stores - they will be hanging in the section by the Mr.
Gasket valve covers, air cleaners, and other chrome dress-up stuff. I
haven't been in one yet that didn't have at least 2 or 3 for around $9 each.
The mopar one was around $13 and had to be special ordered.

> Do you happen to know if there are any differences in the layouts
> in your Indy Ram and the Dakotas?

Not that I know of - as far as that particular area. Most of the differences
are in the frame and engine compartment around the engine (much tighter on
the Daks). All the later models (Rams and Daks) have EGR and a few more
vacuum fittings on the intake. None of these should affect the thermostat
area. Check for youself - I've got many pix at the following URL:
http://home.netcom.com/~smoseley/mpi/MPIinstall.html

> Correct me if I'm wrong ...
> the grinding of the a/c is avoided by using the Chevy housing?

I'm guessing that the grinding can indeed be avoided. The main reason
everyone is grinding them is because the mopar housing connects to the upper
radiator hose directly above - where the a/c is. The other Chevy housing
that I mentioned (almost any of them thats not straight up) should clear
because they leave the intake at an angle and there is lots of room there for
the hose (which will reach) to connect at an angle. I will be swapping mine
out soon and will RTV the cut pieces back into place for a few pictures to
prove that it can be done and to update my MPI install pages with this
valuable info. Just wish I didn't have to find out the hard way 8-)

> Thanks again.

No prob - thats what this list is all about right?

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/Coil/Wires/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"