IAS Sensor Relocation..Attn: Bernd

From: DRD892@aol.com
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 18:19:05 EST

I read your comments about relocating the IAS sensor on your home page.
I have been thinking about doing this for some time to my '97 5.2.
The stock sensor is located on the front passenger side of the intake
manifold and I assume it is the same for the V6. I do not have the stock
air box as I use a 10"X3" open element K&N.

I did a little experiment this afternoon. We put a temperature probe inside
the air cleaner (behind the K&N). Then hooked up a scan tool to read
the temp at the IAS sensor. The truck was inside a service bay with
the doors open. Outside temp was 60 degrees. Ran the engine at fast
idle (about 1500 RPM) and then at a normal idle for about 10 minutes.
The variance was more than I expected. The air stream thru the K&N
was running between 79 and 83 degrees. The scan tool was reading the
IAS sensor between 136 and 140 degrees.

The bottom of my air cleaner plate and a "punch out" that looks like it
just fits a new IAS sensor. I plan on installing this sometime this week.
I am wondering if that much temp variance will give me a "check engine"
light or cause other problems? (I am already using a 180 degree stat)

David R.
Sterling Heights
Michigan
DC Detroit Axle Plant