Re: IAS Sensor Relocation..Attn: Bernd

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 08:51:37 EDT

At 06:19 PM 4/1/00 EST, you wrote:
>I did a little experiment this afternoon. We put a temperature probe inside
>the air cleaner (behind the K&N). Then hooked up a scan tool to read
>the temp at the IAS sensor. The truck was inside a service bay with
>the doors open. Outside temp was 60 degrees. Ran the engine at fast
>idle (about 1500 RPM) and then at a normal idle for about 10 minutes.
>The variance was more than I expected. The air stream thru the K&N
>was running between 79 and 83 degrees. The scan tool was reading the
>IAS sensor between 136 and 140 degrees.

At the track yesterday (~50F with an unknown windchill factor), my scanner
showed the IAS sensor temp. (stock location) to be about 136F during and
after a 1/4-mi. run.

>The bottom of my air cleaner plate and a "punch out" that looks like it
>just fits a new IAS sensor. I plan on installing this sometime this week.
>I am wondering if that much temp variance will give me a "check engine"
>light or cause other problems? (I am already using a 180 degree stat)

I don't know if it'll trigger the "Check Engine" light or not but
racers are known to put it in the windshield fluid bottle. If you
can get a bottle from a wreckers or somewhere, it may be an good
experiement.

Bob