Re: Multi-Meter

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 19:15:14 EDT

fawcett@uism.bu.edu wrote:

> Thanks guy's! Yeah Aaron and Joe are convinced that Fluke (great irony there,
> no?!) is the way to go but as usual I got confused looking at different models
> on the web tonight... And the prices! HOLY COW!
>
> I really need further guidance. I like the idea of a unit that give me more
> auto read-outs like rpm, dwell, etc. and the auto ranging feature. Can anyone
> recommend a specific model under $200 that will fit my needs?

I have the pocket RadioShack autoranging model that someone mentioned earlier and I
agree that it is mostly junk - especially for the money. I would rather have it
than nothing but barely. I too am very keen on just about anything FLUKE sells but
have only used them at work because they are also WAY out of my price range. I've
got just the ticket for you - Go to Sears and look at their Craftsman models. I'm
not sure who makes them but the higher end ones look and feel just like a fluke. I
bought the one that has an RS-232 (9-pin) interface that hooks up to a pc/laptop for
more features like auto min/max display, auto graphing, and data logging. That
particular model has like a 4M ohm input impedance that is one of the requirements
you will need to meet in order to test things like O2 sensors that are extremely
sensitive and can be fried using "normal" meters. I paid $99 for mine about 6
months ago but saw them recently on sale or something for $69 - an incredible
bargain. It comes in a nice case (like all the high-end snap-on electronic stuff)
and has nice test leads with attachments like screw-on alligator clips w/rubber
shields. I have used it extensively and am more pleased everytime I get to use it.
It also has a kick-stand for setting it upright for far viewing as well as large LCD
readout. Also has a built-in LED meter that allows you to eyeball the actual value
even before the auto-ranging feature hones in on it. It has the same rubberized
case wrapped around it that the FLUKE models have and if it were yellow - you'd
think it were one. The auto-power off feature is nice as well as I seem to always
forget to shut them off which has costed me much in batteries w/all my other ones.
If you want - I can get a model number - just let me know.

Ok - this is getting lengthy - I'll stop 8-) And No - I'm in no way affiliated
w/Sears or Craftsman.

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/Coil/Wires/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"