Reverse gear synchronized?, DIY stereo install

From: Erik Gudmundson (erik@dca.net)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 17:07:44 EDT

With the recent talk on gears and clutch use...I have a 5-speed '99 Dak
Sport 3.9L, and a question. Anytime I'm in neutral and want to shift into
reverse, I usually get a terrible gear grinding sound. The only solution is
to clutch, shift into first, then shift to reverse, all while keeping the
clutch in. Sometimes it even takes a couple tries. I've had the truck for
almost one and a half years, and it has been like this since day one. My
local 5-star dealer said this is normal operation, but that sounds odd to
me. Granted, this is my first manual transmission and I'm a self-taught
shifter. What's the word?

Aside from that, everything has been great with the truck for 30k miles.
The fan clutch went bad twice (loud squeeling), but the warranty repaired
it both times and I haven't had any trouble since the early fall.

For anyone debating whether or not to DIY-install an upgraded stereo, do
it! It's sure to save you some money, and, at least in the '99 model, it's
painfully easy. The dash pops right off, and everything's an easy reach. I
just installed a new Kenwood head unit and CD changer. It's working great
so far. I bought everything from Crutchfield online and saved a good bit of
dough.

This is my first post, so go easy on me...

Erik
  Erik Gudmundson
  erik@dca.net
  station.manager@wixq.com

  WIXQ ON-LINE: http://www.wixq.com/
  Pull Me Under, progmetal FM & RA radio:
     http://members.dca.net/erik/
  Beacon Technologies, the Chester Co ISP:
     http://www.beaconnet.com/