Re: Body Lift Question; Parts

From: Killerdak@aol.com
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 14:43:41 EDT

I no longer have the parts list for the PA 2" lift, but remembering back it
did have an extra piece that wasn't needed, a 1" or so metal rod that I think
was steering column extension (maybe shift linkage? can't remember exactly),
but it wasn't necessary to use so we didn't. With only the 2" lift no
extensive modifications were needed (radiator, shifters, etc). It was really
a piece of cake. And its not TOO much lift either...nice fairly
stock-looking, yet stout height. (of course the 4" TM suspension lift
addition blew the stock look outta the water!)

Before I ordered the kit and was pondering how much body lift I wanted to do,
I talked with a local 4x4 shop and they said drilled hockey pucks (and longer
bolts) are good for a homebrew body lift...but the height would be subtle
(like only 1" or so)...

____________________
Dave Kilian -- Clayton, NC
'96 Dakota CC 4x4 3.9L 5-spd, 4" TM susp. lift, 2" Body lift, 33" BFG MT's
etc...

In a message dated 4/24/00 12:54:16 PM, grndak4x4@home.com writes:

<< > Kyle,

> the 2" body lift from Performance accessories was fairly simple as far as

> parts and install...I did it with a buddy's help in less than a couple

hours'

> time.

> Got it (the kit) from JC Whitney, like 70 bucks or so.

> All the 2" kit has is the spacer pucks and longer bolts. The bumper

> relocation brackets were not part of this kit, nor does the 2" kit require

> messin' with the radiator, steering or anything else for that matter, only

> the shifters sit slightly lower in the cab.

> For Gen II Daks, there is a different kit for the regular and extended

cab,

> so specify which truck you have when ordering.

> My back bumper sits a little low but I plan on fabbing up a whole new

back

> end anyways, hopefully integrating the receiver hitch into the bumper

> somehow...front bumper was adjusted up slightly, can't notice any gap. I

like

> the 2" as opposed to 3" 'cause it shows less body frame, and less work was

> involved with the install.

> Do it Kyle! C'mon, all your friends are doin' it!

Dave/Bernd/Whomever,

So using the 2" body lift kit doesnt require using steering column

extensions? I wonder if the TrailMaster 3" body lift kit for $70 would have

anything different in the kit compared the to PA 2" Body lift kit for $70.

Hey wait, I have the instructions for the 3" TM lift kit!! Here is what they

list in the instructions for the 3" Body Lift Kit:

*1-7/16" x 3 3/4" Tube-Auto Trans Linkage

*1-Transfer Case Shifter Extension

*1-Steering Shaft Adapter

*14-Body Blocks

*1-Tie Wrap

*8-38412 CHHC Bed Bolts

*6-12MM x 160MM CHHC Cab Bolts

*8-Bed Bolt Cup Washers

*12-Washers

*2-Bed Supports

*1-Transfer Case Shifter Boot

*1-Box(duh!)

I know there is enough hose on the gas filler neck, so thats no biggie. For

the front bumper, these instructions just have directions as well as a

template for drilling new holes and relocating the front bumper, so maybe no

brackets are needed for the front bumper in this TM Kit. Thye do say "Front

frame horn may require trimming." Which I am sure it will need! Hmmm, I

just dont really care for a 3" Body lift, as I would rather have a 2" at the

most. Anyone know what the parts list is for the PA 2" Body lift? Thanks,

Kyle

93 Dakota 4x4 V6 >>