Re: RE: RE: 180 tstat not as cold as I thought!

From: Weaver E A (orkie@charter.net)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 03:55:47 EDT

Uhhhh...using a minimum of 25 service manuals (actually quit at 27), making
especially sure to span vehicle recommendations to include mid to late 80's
(the years of "The
>schools that I had went to"), I have concluded that you were bernd and
unscrupulously cheated. Your schools outright lied to you! All manufactures
recommended a minimum of 50/50 water/coolant mix. Oddly they all gave the
same reasons Prestone gives in their FAQs. Since you didn't follow the link
(http://www.prestone.com/faq/faq.html) to it I will paste it in here....

"Q: What is the best antifreeze/coolant concentration for a vehicle? Can I
use 100% antifreeze?
A: We recommend that you use between a 50% and 70% concentration of
antifreeze. At least 50% is necessary to give the adequate amount of
corrosion protection, as well as freeze/boilover protection. However, we do
not recommend more than 70% antifreeze. This would cause restriction of the
heat transfer capabilities, corrosion protection, and freeze protection. The
concentration of freeze/boilover protection of the antifreeze mixture can be
checked using Prestone® Test Strips or a Prestone® Coolant Tester"

To say more on this subject would be pointless...

Ed