Blackstone Oil Report

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 11:43:45 EDT

I've been dragging in posting this, but I received my oil test report back
from Blackstone Labs. I think they hit the nail on the head as far as the
gas in the oil goes. I only drive @ 3 miles each way to work so the engine
never has a chance to fully warm up. The one item that caught my eye was the
Boron level. I haven't had a chance to write back to Blackstone to ask about
it, but my levels were 3X higher than average. Does anyone know where Boron
comes from in the engine? Is this a wear item? My Magnesium was also high.
Where does this come from? Is this something I should be watchful of or is
it one of the additives in the oil? Note that my silicon (dirt) level is
lower than average. I'm running a K&N air filter which several people have
reported as not filtering as well as a paper filter. I guess I have a good
one?

BTW, I'm running Mobil 1 10W/30 with the Mobil 1 oil filter.

Here are the results, word for word:

John: 2.3% of this sample was gas and the oil's viscosity was light for a
10W/30, reading more like a 5W/30 when checked @ 210 F. No moisture or
coolant found. Engine was perfectly normal for the type (compare with
universal average levels) after 3,500 miles use of the oil. This was Mobil's
tri-syn oil and it appears to be getting the job done for you. Idling and
city driving can leave this much gas in the oil. Check back to see if it is
still there next oil change.

Miles: 36,939
Date: 4/10/00

Material My truck Universal Averages

Aluminum 3 8
Chromium 2 3
Iron 40 77
Copper 3 13
Lead 7 22
Tin 1 3
Molybdenum 6 22
Nickel 1 1
Manganese 0 1
Silver 0 0
Titanium 0 0
Vanadium 0 0
Boron 54 18
Silicon 17 19
Sodium 5 63
Calcium 764 1226
Magnesium 1306 554
Phosphorus 622 896
Zinc 725 1040
Barium 0 0

Properties:
Test Values should be Test values
were
 SUS viscosity @ 210 F 59-68 57.7
Flashpoint in F >385 345
Fuel % <2.0 2.3
Antifreeze % 0 0
Water % <0.05 0.0
Insolubles % <0.6 0.5

John
98 Dak 4X4 CC Sport, 5.2L, Auto, Mopar headers, F&B TB, Gibson cat back