Re: the eagle has landed

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 08:55:33 EDT

Hi, Mike.

At 12:57 PM 5/31/00 -0700, you wrote:
>The MPI/M1 manifold landed on my doorstep this morning....

Grrreat!!! My personal experience with it is that the MPI loves
any mods that will get you in the 4500 - 5500 rpm range (higher
the better I've read). Really gives a nice flat and broad torque
curve ... nice feeling to reach 4000 rpm and feel it still pull.
Low end loss, if any, is minimal ... only 1 or 2 100ths off previous
best in 60' and 1/8-mi times (and that's with shifting about 500 rpm
below optimal shifts).

>BTW, what kind of RTV have you guys used on the manifold?

I think that I used Permatex Ultra Grey (sensor safe) but I'll
check ... been using many sealants with other projects.

> Also has anyone been successful in installing this intake WITHOUT
> grinding the AC compressor corner by using a non-mopar water neck? I
> read a post in the archives that said a chevy o-ringed water neck
> worked well, and that a low profile chevy neck or even an angled neck
> would probably work without grinding the compressor.

I did a quick look at those chevy water necks and decided (rightly or
wrongly) that there would be still clearance problems.

FWIW, before installing, I took the time to clear-coat the manifold and
did some minor polishing (smoothing) of the rough wall edges at the runners
and openings before installing. I don't know if the smoothing out had
any affect or not but I know that the intake surface won't oxidize.

Good luck!

Bob