Re: New to DML and ???

From: Chuck Robbins (intense99dak@home.com)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 18:19:03 EDT

    Welcome to the list!! You're going to be flooded with ideas
that you can do to your Dakota, so you might want to hand over the
checkbook to the Mrs. ;-) There is quite a bit you can do to your
v6 which would make some v8's think twice about racing you ;-)
    The manual tranny on our v6's does seem clunky when compared
to a car shifter or import truck shifter. I traded in a Mazda B2000
5 spd for my Dak and the difference between shifters/trannies was
night and day. It just takes a little getting used to. I've heard that
synthetic tranny fluid smoothes the shifting a bit, but don't know
from personal experience. Also, I heard a while back that Hurst was
coming out with a shifter for our Dakota's, but I've taken that with a
grain of salt.
    As for decal removal, use a hair dryer to heat up the stickers. Once
the decals are warmed up, you can peel them off. With a little practice,
you can time it so there is no glue left behind. If there is glue residue,
use a product called Goo-Gone or WD40 to remove the glue. Use a soft
cotton towel or something like that and be careful not to wipe to many
times using the same spot on the towel. When all the glue is gone, use
a good polish and wax to remove any "ghost" images of the decals.
Also, in case you were wondering, the v6 badges have two pins holding
them to the fenders (at least my '99 does).
    My Dakota came with the fog lamps, so I can't help much there. If
you go to the DML homepage and search the archives for last fall and
this spring, there has been quite a bit of discussion about adding them.
    Congrats on your new Dak (looks like you got an awesome price for
it) and again welcome to the DML.

Chuck Robbins
'99 Dakota Sport
http://www.members.home.com/clrobbins/dakota.htm