Re: Timing Gear Setup - Magnum Engines

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 16:16:23 EDT

> I spoke with Mopar and Milodon...the Single Idler SB Mopar Timing gear
setup
> will fit 100%. On the timing gear configuration for the 3.9L and 5.2L
there
> is NO difference from '79 - current (I didn't ask them to check any
further
> back).
> Milodon Gear Drive is on order and should be here within the next 3 days.
> Install will be (hopefully) this weekend. It does make a slight whining
> noise but not a loud as the Pete Jackson Gear Drives (even the quiet
ones).

Bernd,
So since this is an 'exact swap', what parts come with the Milodon Gear
Drive? I complied a list of parts I would need for my timing chain fix, and
it looks like this:
-1 Timing Chain and Sprocket Package
-1 Gasket, Timing Chain Case
-1 Gasket, Water Pump
-1 Seal, Front Case 1992 - 1997
-1 Tensioner, Timing Chain
-Coolant of course
-I may swap on a new water pump at the same time
What from this list would I need then, if I went with the gear drive setup?
Would it just be everything except the timing and sprocket package? Also,
other than the idea of never having to deal with a stretched or worn chain,
what are the benefits of a gear driven setup? Are there any cons? Does it
help with power at all? I have heard from several people that a double
roller chain setup actually reduces power since the engine needs more
strength to rotate/turn a double roller setup. Under hard acceleration
lately, I hear the stock(124,000) timing chain just slapping away, and plan
on doing a fix/upgrade this summer. What is the cost of the Gear Drive
setup? THANKS!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6