Shopping for a T-stat...is this right?

From: andy (andylevy@bigfoot.com)
Date: Sat Jun 10 2000 - 12:26:17 EDT

Ok, I went out to Advance Auto Parts to get my 180 T-stat in hopes of
solving my pinging ('99 318). The guy there seemed to not even want my
business. First, he tells me it's illegal except for off-road use due
to emissions. Then he tells me my mileage will go in the crapped, and
the system will never get out of closed-loop because of the temperature.

Now, maybe I'm misremembering, but hasn't everyone here been in general
very happy with the 180 T-stat? What was this guy's problem? I got a
Stant "heavy-duty" model.