Re: 12K Axle sevice

From: Dester223@aol.com
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 22:47:35 EDT

RTV is basically a gasket former. There are many different types of RTV, and
each one has it's own application.. It comes in a tube and you squeeze the
bottom and it comes out.

On the 12k diff. service, I believe you loosen all 12? bolts that hold the
plate to the pumpkin, and you pry on the bottom of the cover with a flat head
screwdriver and as soon as you give it a little gap, the 75-90 gear oil will
come out. so be ready with a pan! after it's drained, pull off the plate,
inspect the gears for any chips, or anything and if there are metal shavings
here and there (as long as they're not HUGE) just clean it out and be on your
way.

Cleaning up and prepping for the reinstall of the diff cover is quite easy,
just scrape the old gasket off. If you have a die grinder, you can run
through it with a little pad to help clean ALL the oil gasket material off,
but usually, a razor blade and some effort will do.

Squeeze the RTV where the old gasket needs to go, and put the diff cover on
and tighten the bolts.

after your bolts are tight, pull that rubber piece on the diff. plate to be
able to fill the diff. have your selected gear lube ready, squirt it into
the fill hole until it comes out of it. (I'd say about 2.3 quarts of that
stuff, but get 3 bottles, and you should be safe) After filled up, cap it
back off with that rubber piece, recheck the tightness of the bolts and off
you go.

-Dester

PS. easier. you can take it to a quick lube place and they'll change it for
about 20 bucks. hehe ONLY disadvantage is you don't get to see the gears
for yourself. Reason is, the quick lube places will stick a straw through
the "fill hole" and they'll have a little suction pump to pump MOST the old
gear oil out. hope that helps!

<< Is it caulk-like (in a tube)? Do I squeeze a bead on one or both surfaces?
 Is there a specific grade/type for this application, especially since I want
 to use a synthetic gear-lube?
    Anyway, any pointers from you DMLers out there to help me perform this
 without damaging anything or voiding my warranty,
 would be greatly appreciated.
 TIA! >>