RE Brake Dust Shields

From: Erols (slakie@erols.com)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 09:52:01 EDT

I believe this notion of brake dust shields increasing temperatures enough
to cause warping of the rotors is false. I have brake dust shields on all
my vehicles. One vehicle has had them on for 16 years both front and rear
(still original rotors) with no problems and another both front and rear for
10 years and no problems. The question of temperature build-up was posed to
Road and Track about 6 or 7 years ago and they performed a controlled
condition test with and without the brake shields. The results of their
test showed that with the brake shields installed the temperature increased
7/10 of 1 degree, hardly enough to make a difference. I have the vented
shields installed on my 2000 Dak, they are available for the Dak from Auto
Accessories Connection at www.accessconnect.com for both the 15x7 and 15x8
wheels. The 15x8 wheels are described as 10 slotted on their homepage.

Ron
Springfield, VA