Re: my reply, R/T snobs, was All R/T'ers

From: Steven T. Ekstrand (cyberlaw@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 20:03:58 EDT

I love R/T's and I would have loved to have gotten one, but I was buying a
daily driver I could tow my race cars with. Hence my "Rapid/Tow" Special!

I've got no issues with shows and such that limit to a particular model.
The R/T Nationals sounded very cool.

The thing that surprised me was that I found out they screened mailing list
members and required actual ownership. The list owner can do anything he
wants but it seems rather extreme. I belong to several specialty lists (I
have 9 cars and two motorcycles) none of them require you to actually own
the vehicle in question. They just require that your posts stay on topic.

I follow the BMW MPower list. I'm not in the income bracket. If I was I'd
probably buy the '69 318 Sport Satellite Convertible down the street and
turn it into a 69 1/2 440-6 Road Runner Convertible Mutant (they never made
such a beast, but they should have!!!--Just like Sam P.'s R/T 4x4
"Prototype"). I'm on the list because I setup and sometimes race my
buddies MCoupe. I also belong to the BMWCCA same reason.

Assuming Micheal Schumacher only has German machinery in his garage at
home, would the Ferrari club exclude him because he doesn't actually own
his F1 cars???

I don't have any huge desire to be on the R/T list, I'm just pointing out
how unusual it is to have such a rule. A rule by the way that I was told
last year came about because of the buyback controversy and suspicion that
Chrysler was monitoring the list. I can understand that if it were true.
Now a days, it translates to the world, right or wrong, as snobbery.

-STE
(Who's feeling bad for Terry, and not really wanting to continue a flame
war thread, but doing so anyway in as civil a manner as possible...So
please anybody who wishes to continue it, lets keep it a friendly
discussion!)