Re: Cap & Rotor Replacement

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Jul 16 2000 - 22:33:33 EDT

> Hey! Somebody said this was easy to do on late model (97+ V8) Kota's.
Listen'
> bud, whoever you is, unless you are 7' tall and your knuckles drag on the
> ground you and me is gonna' have some words!
>
> Don't get me wrong, I hain't skeered of no 7' monster with knuckles
draggin' on
> the ground, what I'm saying is for this change to be easy, ya's gots to be
> saskwach (sp?) to do this easily. I stand an easy 6' and I don't have no
> stubby arms but it was a royal b*tch getin' the cap off as it's tucked
away
> behind the air manifold and under the hood cowling. Also, whoever said
you
> need a long ass Philips screw driver is almost completely wrong! Philips,
yes,
> but on the 318 you need a short as* driver so you can fit it under the
cowl and
> still bear down on the screw heads. I tried a socket attachment and
Phillips
> bit but the damn thing fell off and is fartin' around somewhere along the
valve
> covers as we speak (never could find the damn bit!).
>
> Now that I got that off my chest, my report on the parts really surprised
me...
> I've got a '98 318 with about 30,000 miles on it and the cap and rotor,
while
> showing some wear, was really not in need of replacement! The rotor tip
was
> still in good shape as were the pick-ups inside the cap. Also, I changed
the
> champion truck plugs while I was at it and had the same result... I.E.
the
> plugs looked absolutely beautiful and really did not need replacement.
The
> color on all eight was perfect and there was no sign of fouling or any
heat
> related problems. All and all I'm very pleased, but I'm also thinking
that
> this OEM stuff could really withstand a longer service interval than is
specked
> out in the FSM and the owners manual. I'm all for P/M but the minimal
wear I
> saw with the stock ignition says this is overkill in my book.

Tom,
Good to hear things looked that good at that mileage marker. With the
aftermarket ignition system, I go through a BW Cap/Rotor about every
7-10,000 miles. Plugs last about that long also. The 6 plugs, cap, and rotor
only run $20....so I can afford to keep up on it. Fortunately for myself, I
can get all the plugs out, the new ones gapped, dielectric grease on the
plug ends, wires reattached, and everything installed in about 10 minutes.
The plugs are so easy to get to, and that is what I love about having the V6
in the V8 engine's bay. The cap and rotor job takes me about 10 minutes
also. All I need is a long phillips screwdriver and I take the stock air
filter housing off, just so I can have better access. I am 6"1', but use a
milk crate for added coverage into the boack portion of the engine bay.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6