Cap & Rotor Replacement

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Sun Jul 16 2000 - 22:17:15 EDT

Hey! Somebody said this was easy to do on late model (97+ V8) Kota's. Listen'
bud, whoever you is, unless you are 7' tall and your knuckles drag on the
ground you and me is gonna' have some words!

Don't get me wrong, I hain't skeered of no 7' monster with knuckles draggin' on
the ground, what I'm saying is for this change to be easy, ya's gots to be a
saskwach (sp?) to do this easily. I stand an easy 6' and I don't have no
stubby arms but it was a royal b*tch getin' the cap off as it's tucked away
behind the air manifold and under the hood cowling. Also, whoever said you
need a long ass Philips screw driver is almost completely wrong! Philips, yes,
but on the 318 you need a short as* driver so you can fit it under the cowl and
still bear down on the screw heads. I tried a socket attachment and Phillips
bit but the damn thing fell off and is fartin' around somewhere along the valve
covers as we speak (never could find the damn bit!).

Now that I got that off my chest, my report on the parts really surprised me...
I've got a '98 318 with about 30,000 miles on it and the cap and rotor, while
showing some wear, was really not in need of replacement! The rotor tip was
still in good shape as were the pick-ups inside the cap. Also, I changed the
champion truck plugs while I was at it and had the same result... I.E. the
plugs looked absolutely beautiful and really did not need replacement. The
color on all eight was perfect and there was no sign of fouling or any heat
related problems. All and all I'm very pleased, but I'm also thinking that
this OEM stuff could really withstand a longer service interval than is specked
out in the FSM and the owners manual. I'm all for P/M but the minimal wear I
saw with the stock ignition says this is overkill in my book.
L8R,
Tom