Re: Gap for 3924s?

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 07:45:15 EDT

Bill

At 07:18 AM 7/21/00 EDT, you wrote:
> <snip> I have the MSD Blaster 3 coil and the MSD 6A but only use the 6A
>while on the juice. I do run the coil both stock and with the MSD 6A. I am
>using a .042 or .045 gap with very good results on the track. I can't check
>the gas mileage as I race most Wed nites and only put in 5 gal at a time.
>My observation is that with just the coil (on stock plugs) I was able to
widen
>the gap with good results. I never tiried this with stock coil though Have
>you ried widening the gap to .045 or os on yours and run at the track ?

Not to .045. I did try a set at .040 with the Accel Super Coil.
I experienced one (sometimes two) very faint pops up front just before the
traps
on the three runs with this combo. I decided to put back the stock coil
and a set
gapped at .035 for the rest of the day, and did not get the pop(s). With
so much
rain this year, I haven't had too many opportunities to experiment again.
Hopefully,
after the Nats, I can spend a whole day just on that ... will try them at
.045.

I plan to get one visit to Cayuga before the Nats to see if the '97 MP PCM
is really ~ 0.30 slower than the '96 PCM, and to see if my erratic shift
problem has been cured. My back was acting up and Jon ran my truck at
Carlisle
(after putting in a tranny cooler) and he did not get any shift problems
with the
tranny doing the shifting (a very good sign!!!). I do believe that another
auto.
racer was born that night :-)

BTW, I didn't sent a congrats on your recent pb because I figure that you
would have many more before the season is over, and I would send one BIG one.

Bob