Air Compressor Question......

From: Tim J Koth (Tim.J.Koth@aexp.com)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 14:13:24 EDT

Kyle, from the sounds of it I don't think you will have any problems going
with the smaller compressor. The only thing I think may be close to not giving
full power would be a good 1/2" impact. But in most cases you'll do just fine.
All the other tools you mention should be ok. Do yourself a favor and get
some 'Milton' type quick connect fittings for your tools and hoses. But look
around, not all are the same. The internal holes in the male fittings can be a
restriction. (some to the point that it isn't possible to deliver more than 6
CFM through them no matter what compressor you have!) So look around until you
find a set with big holes :-) Also get yourself a 'Harbor Freight Tools
Catalog", or hit them on the web. They sell alot of crap air tools but they
also have alot of good stuff too. They have some knock-offs of Ingersol Rand
stuff that is great for shade-tree mechanics like us. Resist the urge to buy
the $39.95 1/2" impact wrenches you see everywhere, you'll just be replacing
it in 6 months like I did. Harbor has a real nice dual hammer one that looks
like an Ingersol Rand that cranks out 450 ft/lbs of torque and has separate
regulators for loosen and tighten. It goes for about $70 these days I think.
Well made and well worth the money....
  Another benefit of going with the smaller compressor is that you can take it
with you. That could come in handy...I've often wished I could haul mine
around. If you aren't going to sand an entire car of sand blast anything then
you should be fine with the 5.5hp one.