now: facing flywheel was:truck apart need help (was DC sucks)

From: Chuong Nguyen (dester223@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 01:27:59 EDT

I don't believe to have the flywheel turned is costly. Should be about the
price of turning a pair of rotors. Anyways... I've seen a couple shops in
operation, and some will get a right angle die grinder, go over the flywheel
and charge the customer for "facing the flywheel" Though I believe that's
nonsense, the shops claim that this trues up the flywheel enough, and they
haven't had any claims by doing so.

>From the whole year of (high school) automotive technical schooling, I've
been taught that this is an uncorrect procedure, because it won't do good
around hot spots or anything.

Oh, the reason for this post is to further my understandings on how
different shops operate, and what is the "correct" procedures to do a job.
Personally, I believe it is worth 15-25 bucks to have a machine shop do
it... but if you guys believe this method is correct, I'll use it in the
future... is this an approved method? any comments?
-Dester

PS. why would you need a new pressure plate? I believe they are reusuable?
or is this just a personal wanting?

<<BTW: My '97 could use a clutch and just for hell-of-it I asked the Service
Manager (who I personally know) how much he would have to charge me to do
the work, $600 without facing the flywheel and that is at a small town
Dealer. I could purchase a good clutch/pressure plate/through-out bearing
from a friend that owns an Auto Parts Store for about $180 (remember this is
his cost). I would bet that I could find a local mechanic that would do the
job for $200 +/- labor.>>