4WD: Tire Sizing/Fitment

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 12:23:10 EDT

Ok Ok Ok, we have been over this near 500 times now, but I would just like
to start talking about it again. My Dunlop Radial Rover RVs have 50,000
miles on them, and will need to be replaced within the next 3 months or so.
I mean heck, I cannot get stuck during hunting season!

I cannot currently afford any type of lift kit, suspension nor body. So
please make suggestions according to the stock height. I may be purchasing a
set of 15x7 GenII Dakota rims, so I was thinking about finding a slightly
wider tire along with possibly being taller/overall diamter.

*Current Dunlop Tire Specs:
-LT235/75R-15
-741 revs per mile
-Basically, these tires are 29"x9"/9.50" new
-They are currently like 28" tall, and loosing tread fast!

*30x9.50 Tire Specs
-Overall Diameter ranges from 29.3"-29.6"
-Only half an inch taller or so in difference; really not that noticeable
-Width is 9.7ish, so about 3/8-1/2" wider than the stock sized LT235s
-About 717 revs per miles

*31x10.50 Tire Specs:
-Overall Diameter ranges from 30.5"-31"
-These are about 1.5"-2" taller than my stock sized LT235s
-These are about 1"-1.5" wider than the stock sized LT235s
-About 670 revs per mile

*Truck Specs:
-1993 Dodge Daktoa Sport 4x4
-Regular Cab 6.5' bed
-Front Bumpstop travel is a poor 1 3/8", haha
-Rear Bumpstop travel is 3 3/4"
-Fender Diameter is 32 3/16"

I know both 30x9.50s and 31s will fit just fine, just need help deciding
what size would be better. It would be nice to find a 30x10.50 or even a
29x10.50...........hmmmmmm. I know Interco makes tires in these sizes, just
not sure I want an Interco tire for a daily driver! Anyone see in person the
new Goodyear MTR tire? It really looks sweet. I saw one the other day on a
Jeep, and was impressed.
http://www.goodyear.com/us/tires/tirecatalog/WRLMTR.html
How much power loss and gas mileage decrease will I find when going upto a
30x9.50 or a 31x10.50??? Remember now, no gear swaps, no body lifts, no
suspesion lift. I know I may have to 'adjust' the torsion bars for the 31s.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6