RE: Brush/grill guards with hooks?

From: David Martin (dakota@ivyleague.net)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2000 - 10:50:05 EDT

My grill guard is a Manik 1 Piece. The first one was also a Manik 1 Piece
but was the older model before they made them winch mountable. The new
design is much stronger.

I ordered mine from 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers for about $400. The winch
mount plate was a little less than $200.

There is no place for tow hooks on the grill guard...what I did was weld a
D ring, just like the ones on my back bumper, to the underneath of the
winch mounting plate. I also strengthened the grill guard mounting system
by welding a length of angle iron between the upper and lower mounts for
extra rigidity. I did this because of the body lift, so am not sure
whether it would be required for a stock vehcicle.

One of the problems I noticed with the grill guard is that to mount to the
frame it goes down and under the facia and then back up to the frame...this
causes the two uprights that go under the facia to be VERY LOW and I was
constantly hitting them on stuff...you could have someone redo the lower
mounts so that they go thru the facia instead of below it.

I have yet to see what I feel to be the ideal front end system for our
Daks...they all have some shortcomings. The one from Hanson Enterprises is
nice but way to pricey for my tastes. I would love to see a TJM/ARB Bull
Bar Model T15 for the GenIIIs.

David Martin
98 SC 5.2l 4x4
Mr. March & September