NYIRP

From: Jon Steiger (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 23:13:10 EDT

   Well, I finally made it up to the track for the first time this year! I
found that they installed a new timing system in my absense. So, now we
get all the 1/8th mile times, 1000', etc. PLUS, they have a weather
station and you get all that info right on your timeslip! Yeah, I know you
coddled folks out there have had this all along, but not us! :-) Plus,
its still only $8 to run all night, including a trophy for the 1st 4
vehicles in each class. Most tracks can't say that. :-)

   Anyway, I brought along the video camera and got some daks racing for
the home page. (I still have to digitize them though.) I got Bill
Tierney's Dak on video during a 13.9X pass, all motor. Yeeehaw! Sounds
great too! You should see the heads turn when he fires it up. He said he
hasn't done anything to the exhaust since last year, but it sounded
different to me. :-) Oh, there was also this RC Dak there with a 360 in
it. He was running mid 13s. Funny thing was that if you looked inside his
engine bay, there's no way you'd know it wasn't a bone stock 318. Well, he
had some MSD plug wires and two fresh air ducts to the air can, but those
were the only mods I noticed. He's got an 8.75" rearend in it too. Said
he took it out of a B body and it fit perfectly; no need to narrow
it. (Spring perches and such had to be moved though obviously.)

    I kinda stunk up the joint unfortunately; my best pass was a 15.12. I
was shifting it like somebody's grandma though since I just wanted to get
through the traps without blowing something up. Plus, I didn't have the
short belt or ram-air hooked up. Once I get a 727 in there I'll be able to
get on 'er like the good old days. :-) She ran pretty consistent though;
I wasn't sure if I was going to run in the eliminations or not; I ran 4
time trials and parked it. I figured I'd give it a shot and just take it
easy. I did better than I thought I'd do after a year off, but I had some
luck on my side too. Unfortuantely, that means I didn't get as much video
as I would have liked since I was drivin' my truck in eliminations, but
I've got a few new videos for the home page. I'll let everyone know when
they're up.

TTYL!

                                               -Jon-

   .--- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ---.
   | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
   | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
   `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'