Re: Re: Dragstrip in So Cal

From: Steven T. Ekstrand (cyberlaw@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 19:56:40 EDT

Technically speaking you're supposed to have a Snell 85 Helmet (moves to
Snell 95 Jan 1, 2001 with most sanctioning bodies-at which time my $300
Simpson becomes junk-which temps me to make my own certification label in
paintshop...hmmmm). A mere DOT motorcycle helmet won't cut it.

In practice, I have never seen that checked at a place like Carlsbad.
After all, back in the ugly 80's you didn't need a helmet at all to drag
race your street car.

If you ever want to do track events (road racing) you should consider
getting a Snell rated SA-95 helmet. They cost a lot more though.

Drag Racing and Autocross just look for the cheaper Snell-95 approved
models.

You also must wear long pants, a shirt. No tank tops, and no open toed
shoes. No thongs either! I guess its boxers, briefs, or naked fat guy...

Your vehicle should have no cords showing on tires. A solid brake peddle.
No leaking fluids. A radiator overflow catch can or closed system.
Adequate throttle return. Tight lugnuts. R/T style wheels are supposed to
remove the center caps. Again, at a place like Carlsbad I've never seen it
checked. But it shouldn't surprise you if it happens. Sometimes an
obviously newbie will make them nervous and they will go through the check
list.

Good Luck! And don't worry about washing the truck prior to
Carlsbad....You'll see what I mean :-)

-STE