Re: Diff/Axle Vent Tube Upgrades

From: Gary Bower (gwbower@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 19:46:27 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: Kyle Kozubal <grndak4x4@home.com>
To: <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2000 3:14 PM
Subject: DML: Diff/Axle Vent Tube Upgrades

 The cap on the end of the vent tube is supposed to be a 'one-way' valve.
Vents out axle but doesn't let water etc. in.
My mechanic suggested something similar to what you have planned-move the
end of the vent tubes to a higher and dryer location. He 'hinted' that the
one way valves are of limited value so far as keeping water out; suggesting
the best way to avoid problems was to use longer tubes and locate the ends
higher on the vehicle.
Pulling them off is simply a matter of loosening the tube(pair of pliers
worked fine) and pulling them free of the nipple they are fit onto.
I am not an expert but I don't think too long a tube would be all that good
either.Condensation forming in the tube and running back to the axle could
be a problem, as well as the possibility of the tube being pinched somewhere
in its 'route'. I will opt for a slightly longer tube going more or less
straight up from the attachment nipple-to somewhere higher on the frame or
body.

Gary Bower gwbower@hotmail.com Adept Aquatic
1997 Dakota CC 4x4 v6 k&n filter bosch +4 plugs