Re: Diff/Axle Vent Tube Upgrades

From: Jason Bleazard (drazaelb@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 17:20:49 EDT

Kyle,

I replaced mine with longer tubes. As I've pretty much submerged my
31" tires, the stock height just wasn't enough for me. The plastic
cap on the end is ventilated to allow air to flow through. Pull it
off and you'll see what I mean.

I ran the front tube up as high as I could get it and brought the
rear one along the frame rail to the engine compartment, like you're
thinking of doing. The only problem I had with the rear one was
trying to figure out what I could tie it to so that it doesn't hang
down.

When I bought the extra tube, I just yanked the front one off,
carried it in to the parts counter at Auto Zone, and told them "I
need 20 feet of this." I wanted some extra to play with. I re-used
the stock plastic caps.

The rubber tubing just fits over the 'nipple' connectors on the
axles. They don't have clamps or RTV stock, so I didn't even think
to use anything like that. I haven't had any problem. It's actually
kind of a bear to get off.

Any other questions, just ask.

--- Kyle Kozubal <grndak4x4@home.com> wrote:
> My brother and I had a late night of driving through the woods and
> trails
> where I hunt(just doing some night scouting/shining for some
> bucks). I woke
> up this morning and noticed a tube/line hanging from the front of
> my truck.
> It turns out the be the differential/axle vent tube. How is this a
> vent tube
> if there is a black cap on the end of both the front and rear vent
> lines??
> Oh well. I noticed it's mounting location before and it simply was
> snapped
> into a hole in the top passenger's side frame rail, using a plastic
> 'fitting'. I must have just caught the tube on something, and it
> just pulled
> out of it's mount on the frame. It was still connected on the
> differential.
> Well how convinient, cause now I want to upgrade my truck's front
> and rear
> diff/axle vent tubes. I measured the front mounting location as
> well as the
> rear loation. Front is about 25" and the rear is at 26". Now this
> is really
> plenty of height, but I would like to run the rear tube all the way
> to the
> firewall and run the front axle vent tube to the firewall also, and
> cap the
> lines off with some type of filter setup mounted securely to the
> firewall.
> Questions are:
> -Are the stock vent tubes just tubes pushed over a metal tube or
> 'nipple' on
> the differential? If so, I was just going to take the old ones off,
> use some
> black RTV(to help seal it up) and push the new longer rubber tube
> over the
> metal tube on the diff and secure it will a small hose clamp.
> -Will there be ANY side effects to running the rear vent tube all
> the way to
> the firewall? The stock vent tube is only about 2feet long and I
> wasnt sure
> if it was this length for a set reason.
>
> Not only will this be a cheap upgrade, but I will now have the
> vents at a
> location alot taller than the stock height. I am just planning on
> using some
> type of gas line, still unsure of the diameter needed though. The
> liner
> should run me about $10, $1 for the 4 small hose clamps, and
> another $10
> depending on the type of filter I am going to use.
> Kyle
> 93 Dakota 4x4 V6

=====
Linux: Because a 486 is a terrible thing to waste.