Re: Diff/Axle Vent Tube Upgrades

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 19:29:54 EDT

> I replaced mine with longer tubes. As I've pretty much submerged my
> 31" tires, the stock height just wasn't enough for me. The plastic
> cap on the end is ventilated to allow air to flow through. Pull it
> off and you'll see what I mean.
>
> I ran the front tube up as high as I could get it and brought the
> rear one along the frame rail to the engine compartment, like you're
> thinking of doing. The only problem I had with the rear one was
> trying to figure out what I could tie it to so that it doesn't hang
> down.
>
> When I bought the extra tube, I just yanked the front one off,
> carried it in to the parts counter at Auto Zone, and told them "I
> need 20 feet of this." I wanted some extra to play with. I re-used
> the stock plastic caps.
>
> The rubber tubing just fits over the 'nipple' connectors on the
> axles. They don't have clamps or RTV stock, so I didn't even think
> to use anything like that. I haven't had any problem. It's actually
> kind of a bear to get off.

Jason,
Since you lengthened both of them, where did you run them to?? I was just
going to lengthen each enough so that I could run both and mount both next
to each other on a spot somewhere on the firewall.
I am thinking of just using some type of vent assembly or one-way filter for
the ends, instead of the stock caps. But it is good to know the stock ones
are re-usable. Those hose you are using, is it more of a thick fuel hose
type tubing or more like a thinner more flexible silicon tubing? Thanks
alot!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V7