Truck goes in for brakes on Wed

From: Tim J Koth (Tim.J.Koth@aexp.com)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2000 - 00:45:02 EDT

I would recommend that everyone affected just crawl under the back of the
truck and perform the recommended service yourself. I posted about this 2
months ago. It took me 3 minutes. Now if your truck is a couple years old you
may be getting close to having it wear through the brake line. But I'd still
rather get the vent hose out of the way and stop the damage from getting any
worse while waiting for your appointment.

To perform the service, crawl under the back to the drivers side of the rear
axle. Locate the brake line, ABS wiring and vent hose. They are bundled. The
wiring and the brake line have a couple plastic separators that hold them
together, but apart from each other. The axle vent hose is just woven through
the two other lines. Pull it off the nipple on the top of the axle tube and
route it out of the other two lines so it is separate. Cut off about 3 or 4
inches of the vent hose and plug it back on the axle ensuring that it hangs
freely and is not rubbing the brake line anywhere. It's as simple as that.
While under there you will be able to see exactly where the vent hose was
rubbing. If you feel you want the brake hose replaced get an appointment as
soon as possible. But you will at least be able to drive it without worry of
any further damage.

> <snip>
>In other words, Chrysler Canada definitely knows that there's a
>problem, but they're dragging their feet issuing a voluntary recall
>until the Canadian govt. forces them to do it.

That could very well be. Anyways, I crawled under there with
a flashlight last week and all the lines looked okay.

Bob