Re: Traction bars?

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 01:57:26 EDT

I helped my best friend put lakewood t-bars on his silverado,wich was
2wd,but was still spring-over.I am somewhat of a welder myself and I made
him some plates to make the t-bars work.I went and got some longer u-bolts
to give me some extra length,and then I built some paltes like this:I took
1/4" plate iron and I cut 2 pieces about 1.5" square,and I halved a 3.5"
pipe.I welded the squares on either end of the half pipe,and then I took
some more 1/4" plate and cut one to sit on the "humps,or plates" of the
traction bars.It was about 1" wide and 3-4" long.This plate was welded onto
the outside bottom of the half-pipe.This made a kind of cradle for the
axlehousing and on the bottom plate acted like the flat part of the leaf
spring that are there on the spring under trucks.I got some front bumpstops
for a ??? from the autozone and it worked as an extended snubber.Pretty
sneaky operation.I painted the whole setup black to match the undercarriage
I had detailed on his truck.The truck was slammed, and you couldn't even see
them! This setup worked very well, and has held up well.We have about 30
runs on that truck now, and it hooks HARD! I hope that you can figure out
how to build you some similar plates, and make your t-bars work.Hope this
helps,Will.If you would like additional info or a real drawing of my setup
on his truck,mail me off-list.Thanks,
Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/hd5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
forest green sport plus/mods:upper&lower speed grille,clear corner lenses
w/clear bulbs,empire billet 3rd brake light cover&antenna,checkmate flush
fiberglass tonneau,carpeted bed,2-chamber flow w/dual 3" dumps,lowered 2" in
rear,R/T fender flares,chromed interior a/c vents,side windows tinted to
5%,back glass to 2.5% with chrome ram head decal,pwr tailgate lock,K&N
drop-in/ 1ST place Dakota-truck at 11th annual Houston Mopar show and
race/National DML meet!!