Re: dakota club cab 4x4 rt with a 5speed?

From: Jon (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 21:20:39 EDT

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000 Ohm347@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/17/2000 3:28:41 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> jon@dakota-truck.net writes:
> WHAT. your joking right? 360's rumble deeper and roar deeper. your the
> second person to say that they can't hear the diff between a 318 and a 360.
> i'm starting to feel like some kind of freak who can tell engines apart by
> sound alone. thankfully the secretary at work is like me so i don't feel so
> alone. she can tell my truck from the 5.9jeep next door from the guy with
> the blown rt who is dating the other secretaries daughter. i walked into
> the office one day and she said "got the gibson 3" huh!". i had put it on
> the night before.
> derek

   Well, you've obviously got better ears than I. I have heard VAST
changes brought about by the modifications of mufflers and cats on
various trucks, so I don't presume to know exactly what's under the
hood based on sound alone. If you can, then my hat's off to you, I
wish I could do the same. My Dak doesn't have a single piece of its
original exhaust left, its got headers, a 2.5" Y-pipe, and its 3" all
the way out the back with no cat and a Gibson single side exit. It
doesn't sound anything like it did stock. On the other hand, recently
there was a Dakota with a 360 transplanted into it at the track which
I wouldn't have guessed was a 360 (if I didn't already know it) just
by sound alone. The mid 13 second timeslip, yes. Sound? no. :-)
(Maybe if I were to hear them side by side I could tell, but not
just by hearing a truck out of the blue.)

                                              -Jon-

  .---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ------.
  | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'