Re: Hello/2.5,trans, &diff Questions

From: dennis (spoolboy@autospeed.com)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 22:27:29 EDT

--- AWyseGuy@aol.com
> wrote:
>In a message dated 10/20/2000 12:30:31 AM Central Daylight Time,
>spoolboy@autospeed.com writes:
>

>> Is there anyone on here that has done a successful install of a 2.5/2.2
>> turbo from a car?
>>

>Someone did bring that up a while back., and there was a link put up to a
>site with a turbo Dak on it.

Yeah, I've seen that one. It uses the early log type intake non-intercooled setup. I want to run the later stuff and a BFI(blank, blank, intercooler).

I've redone the HD since then; so I don't have
>it anymore. I do remember it requiring some fabrications to move the turbo &
>TB from against the firewall though.

Yep that seems to be the biggest problem, besides the exhaust outlet for the turbo running into the control arm.

 Since getting into another 2.5 Dakota

Yeah, but the rear drive stuff sucks up a lot of that 300flywheel HP and you end up with about 250 or so @whls.

>If you're going to do that.. are you needing your stock computer?? or you
>still driving the truck..

Drive it to work every day.

Has drop-in K&N, 2.5"cat(hollow), strait thru 2.5" Dynomax welded oval Magnum muff, and a 92 V-8 tail pipe.

Sounds good when the tailpipe isn't banging/buzzing from touching the leaf spring shakle. Gotta fix that.

I also plan on having turbo programming burned into the stock SBEC(long story).

  I think my computer just went out..

What is it doing? What leads you to that conclusion?
I've worked for 5 auto parts places including a Dodge dealer. Of all of the computers replaced(1000's), 1 of them fixed the problem-mine when I fried it by grounding power to the MAP sensor accidentally. Unless you see smoke come out of it, odds are it's not bad.

  and really
>hate the thought of buying one from the dealer,.

They should come with a little packet of grease just like spark plug wires....for a different reason.

  hoping to find one from a
>truck that gave up it's 2.5 to go bigger.

>But as for the turbo Dak. The more I look at it.. the easier it's seeming.
>I have the intake & exhaust already for if I decide to do one of mine.,

What year stuff are you using? Is it stock?

Seems like if you use the later manifolds, you'd have to cut off the elbow with the throttle body and weld it on the other end of the plenum. Also, I don't know about clearance for the turbo inlet hose to the air cleaner.

and
>have a lead on a complete turbo car to cannibalize for the rest of the parts.

What is it?

>but not planning on me doing that project for quite a while yet.

I have to get my Shelby Charger running first(building a 2.5 engine for it), and our ITB Omni, and a 2.4 turbo conversion to a Neon, and a 455 buick swap into a Skylark, and our drag car is getting fiberglass, and..........

>On the rear diff. Just find one from a wrecked truck with LS unit.

Did that 7 1/4" ever come with a LSD?

>wouldn't trust the 7.25 to take the beating of a turbo.

I only want to use it because #1, it's free and #2, it's lighter and sucks up less power.

>trannys should be different. most the dodges I've seen have the bellhousing
>cast into the trans.

Mine isn't. You can clearly see where the trans body bolts to the bell housing/clutch actuator assy.

Mine says it's an A535 New Process Gear with a 379L ratio on the tag. Is this the same as an AX-15?

I think it's a pretty stout trans, but mine has been seriously abused and neglected. Fluid was never changed and it was driven HARD for 150xxx miles. 4th gear has the munchies and 1,2,&3 synchros scream loudly as you downshift.
But 5th gear works just fine!

When I went to change the fluid I only got a dribble to run out!

What part of the country are you from, Aaron?

I'm from St. Louis.

==
Dennis Doza II

AutoSpeed - The World's Best High Performance Online Magazine
http://www.autospeed.com