Opinion Sought

From: Brian.Boyes (Brian.Boyes@Sympatico.ca)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 22:45:47 EDT

My apologies to those who already saw this on the aadt group, but I didn't
get any responses there and hadn't heard of this list yet (which I think is
the best, BTW).

I have a 2000 Dakota QC Sport 4x2. 4.7l auto the I bought in September. The
0.8% financing was what I had been waiting for after drooling over these
trucks all year. There are a few things I need to get soon and I have a few
questions and would like a few recommendations.

1. I got a soft tonneau cover, and I'm planning on putting in a bedrug
because there is some stuff I need to carry that requires a bit softer ride,
but I would like some sort of lockable storage. So I'm looking for
recommendations for a good, lockable box that is no higher than the bed. The
problem is finding a box that is the right height and that will also fit
between the wells. Also would like to know how people have found the bedrug
stands up to the elements (cold, snow, etc).

2. Second, this had to have been the only Dakota 4x2 around the didn't have
the sport plus group, so it has the standard wheels and tires rather than
the sport tires and upgraded suspension. It worked out well because I was
planning to do a slight lower maybe and put better summer tires on nicer
wheels on next year. Now my boss at work is a "car guy". He says that
changing the suspension will make the ride worse and there is no point in
trying to make a truck handle like a car. For anyone who has gone with
aftermarket wheels and tires, how has it affected ride and handling? Is it
possible to have the speedo/odometer adjust to reflect a different tire
size?

3. A while ago I saw a truck with an expandable cap. That is, it has a hard
shell that looks like a cab extension, and the cap slides out from it along
tracks to the back of the bed. Looks like its made out of some sort of
canvas. Without going into a lot of detail, its perfect for some of the
things I want to carry. Does anyone have one of these extendable caps or
know where I might get information about them?

4. Can you add the overhead computer after the fact? I think I saw this
question before, but I can't remember where.

5. Can you add the steering wheel controls for the Radio/CD/Cassette player
after the fact? I can't believe they ordered the top stereo and the leather
steering wheel (which are both requirements for this) and then didn't add
the $20 option for them damn steering wheel controls.

You input and viewpoints are appreciated.

Thanks
Brian
Brian.Boyes@sympatico.ca
Cambridge, ON, Canada