2002 Chevy SSR with 300HP V-8

From: Stlaurent Mr Steven (STLAURENTS@mctssa.usmc.mil)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 15:36:41 EDT

In the News:

General Motors has committed to produce the innovative Chevy SSR roadster,
an announcement expected since the daring truckster was first shown at the
2000 Detroit auto show.

Speaking before an annual University of Michigan-sponsored automotive
conference, GM president and chief executive officer G. Richard Wagoner,
Jr., stressed that the Chevy SSR is GM's icon for product innovation
leadership, the company's sense of urgency and renewed commitment to
exciting vehicles.

 "Just ten months ago this vehicle was little more than an image on a
designer's computer screen. But what an image!" he said. "So we marshaled
the resources that only a big and fast company can bring to bear, and we
built it in just three months, in time for the Detroit auto show last
January."

 Wagoner noted, however, that the real benefit to the customer is the quick
production decision, which came just seven months after the first public
showing.

Chevy SSR (Super Sport Roadster) is the second of nine North American GM
concept vehicles from the 2000 auto show circuit set to move from show stand
to owners' driveways. It joins the one-of-a-kind Hummer H2 in the product
plan. Wagoner emphasized that more concept-to-production announcements will
be coming before "we unveil our next round of show stoppers beginning in Los
Angeles and Detroit in just under five months."

Referring to the Chevy SSR concept pickup truck, which built such a huge
following in less than one year, he said, "In production, you'll buy this
vehicle with its open-air sports car feel, retractable hardtop, storage and
flexibility. And the best part, it's all Chevy heritage É rear-wheel-drive
with strong V-8 power!"

 Noting that in the past GM would never have spoken about a planned vehicle
this early, Wagoner said, "We don't have every detail buttoned down for the
SSR, but look at that truck! Doesn't it just feel right? And frankly, the
fact that we don't have all of the details to offer you on the Chevy SSR
today says something in itself.

 "We know we can do it. That's good enough for me!" How many? How much?
Those answers will be decided soon. Bottom line, you're going to be able to
buy this vehicle".

SPECS

19inch rims up front, 20 inch in the rear
5.3 Vortec V-8 300HP, rearward drive
Bucket Leathers Seats
OnStar System
Removal Hardtop
New composite bed

Scary from our point of view and trying to beat this truck on the street.
Now the Dakota will move from the number two spot to three next year.

Steven St.Laurent
Test Engineer
Test Branch, GSD, MCTSSA
MARCORSYSCOM, USMC