Carlsbad Report

From: Ed Halterman (OLZNUT@webtv.net)
Date: Sun Nov 19 2000 - 23:25:21 EST

O-k, it's my turn. The weather couldn't have been more perfect. High
60's, lo 70's, minimal breeze, just beautiful!! Tons of Daks, maybe like
15-20 I think, and 5 Durangos. Lots of other cars also, even a sweet '70
Olds 4-4-2 that was in the 12's on the original motor!! Lots of new
faces from the DML, namely Mike Kurriger, Steve St Laurent, Jason
(sorry, missed the last name man!!) and some others from the R/T group.
I forget names very easily, sorry to the rest of the great guys and gals
I met there.
    To the track, where we were doing some creative helmet shuffling to
help those who didn't have one so they could run, Sam P was clicking off
some 14.7's, Jack Yates was still figuring out his bad a$$ S/C'ed R/T,
but we ran out of daylight, and he still got a 13.7!! I think there's
some more left in it dude!! Steve Ekstrand was doing good in the
"WunderSLT" with mid 15's, as well as Steve St. Laurent, aka Mr. Dakota
HEMI, and Jason with nearly identical times and trucks. Some of the R/T
guys were in the mid 14's. The V-6 pride was being held up by Eli
Rodriguez and Chris Oertell (a 1st timer who is now hooked on this) Eli
managed a 16.9 in his CC Sport 5 spd, and Chris ran a 17. something. The
Durangos were pretty impressive, a 2wd 5.9 with minor mods was going
15.3, Mike K ran a 16.3 in his lightly modded 4x4 4.7 Durango, a R/T
Durango was going 16.?. And those are the only ones that I remembered!!
Then it was my turn. My big, heavy a$$ QC 4x4 4.7L one legger with only
1400 miles on it and that weighs in at just about 5000lbs with no mods
whatsoever managed to get a 16.5@83mph. I was pretty stoked about that!!
One thing, my usual launch technique didn't work on this truck. I did my
usual last yellow go which got me .54, .56 r/t's in my other vehicles
got me .93, .91 in this truck. O-K, try the 2nd to last yellow, that got
me a .83. Man, I gotta figure this thing out!!
    After the drags, most of us decided to go into San Diego and eat.
Sam P picked this place called the Corvette Diner. Man, that place is
wild!! We were all acting like kids, throwing straws, packets of Equal,
and Bazooka gum at each other. Made the 160 mile ride back here a very
sleepy one for me, being soo stuffed from that awesome meat loaf!! On
the trip back, I'm gonna kinda brag about my mpg. I know it ain't as
good as my ol' 97 V-6, or Will Caughlin, but I think 18.6 from a V-8 4x4
5000lb truck that ain't even broken in yet doing 70-75mph is pretty
impressive!! When can we do it again???????

Ed "Olznut" Halterman Sunland, Ca
'01 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 SLT+ 4.7L V-8, Auto, Bright Silver LOADED!!!!
'66 Olds F-85, 5.4L V-8, will have 350hp Soon to be Intense Blue!!

http://community.webtv.net/OLZNUT/WelcometoOlznuts