Re: RE: Fuel Pressure Gauge

From: Jon Steiger (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 12:03:18 EST

>Daksters that have installed a FP gauge:
>
>I finally got my FP gauge installed (had a tough time because
>the '97 does not have a pressure relief valve, and had to
>find fittings for a clean rig).
>
>Problem: everything seems to work except that the gauge
>doesn't show pressure. Backlight is aok. Power off and
>needle sits at highest pressure marker = aok. Power on
>and needle jumps to 0 = aok. Start engine and zip, needle
>does not move off 0. I've tested the sender unit manually
>with a hand held gauge and it shows 42 psi.
>
>Any suggestions, opinions, guesses???

   Bob,

  When you say you tested the sender unit manually I assume you have
a hand held FP gauge, which you plumbed into it to test? Or did you
mean you tested it electronically? I think you said it was an
electronic gauge? If you haven't already, I would try testing the outputs
of the electronic sender unit with a multimeter, just to be sure a signal
is actually getting out of the sender. If that seems OK, test again, where
the wires go into the gauge (to make sure the wires are OK). If that's OK,
I'd say you're probably looking at having them send you another gauge.
(Or is it used?) If you're planning to come down with Jason, maybe we
could run some tests on it or something. (Maybe power it with a benchtop
power supply, and test it with a regulated supply of compressed air?)

  (PS: No Challenger parts yet...)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ------. | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 | `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'