Re: Re: Soldering Question

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 18:59:23 EST

> I think you would have better luck with the crimp on type of terminals. I
> have picked some up at local car audio places for about .20 each. I don't
> have a crimper that big so I use a phillips screw driver and a vise or
> vise-grips. Use the screw driver shaft to push the split in the crimp
part
> of the terminal down first. If you want I can send you some pics of how I
> do this. It holds very well, I have also in the past (after I crimped it)
> tinned it with solder to give it a little more holding power. How many
> strands of wire are in the cable? What gauge is the cable?

The wire is about 4-6 guage, for the main negative and main positive wires
alteast. There are 3 total positive wires I need to put ring style terminals
on, two of them are smaller and most certainly can be soldered. The negative
side has 2 wires which need ring terminals on them, one also being a smaller
wire, about a 12 gauge wire which is the battery chassis ground. Like I
said, I definately know the smaller wires can be soldered, just not 100%
about the large main neg/pos wires......which appear to be 4-6 gauge. I dont
know how many strands are in the main 4-6 gauge wires, since I havent
removed the wires from the stock battery terminal clamps yet; as I want to
make sure I will be able to solder them before I mess things up realized I
cant solder them. I have a Weller 25 watts pencil style iron and a large
Craftsman 200 max watt iron. I would of course be using the beastly 200 watt
soldering gun, and possibly employing the help of my propane torch if really
needed to heat things up. I want to get the new military terminals on soon,
cause the stock terminals dont have the grip on the battery posts like they
used to, I guess the stockers just stretched over time. So whatcha all
think.......should I go ahead and cut the 4-6 gauge wires and hope I will be
able to solder some ring terminals on them????
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6