Re: Re: Re: Soldering Question

From: Mike's Dakota (mikesdakota@home.com)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 21:09:52 EST

The concern with soldering the 4ga cable would be the heat from the 200watt
gun melting the insulation on the wires. If you do it quick enough it may
work OK.
I have just found you can make a better connection with using both crimp and
solder. The OEM battery cables are very rigid and only have maybe 15-20
strands. The solder doesn't always hold to them too well.
When I installed my stereo I installed new battery terminals and replaced
all the battery cables with a very flexible audio grade cable, it has over
1000 strands on the 4ga wire which holds wire much better than OEM.
Most of the high end audio hardware uses crimp/compression style connections
on the larger wires instead of solder. I think my OEM cables were crimped
on where they used the ring terminals. Crimp connections tend to hold up
to vibration much better too.
All in all I recommend crimp terminals