RE: Acceleration and Axle Ratios

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@home.com)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 21:37:44 EST

If the entire window sticker is on the truck, the axle ratio is on the right
side in small letters. It's a toss up which engine is faster. I couldn't
beat the 4.7 when I was stock but he couldn't beat me either. That's auto
on both. Of course you can't get anything but auto on the 5.9. There's a
lot more after-market parts for the 5.9 because it's been around longer but
the 4.7 is slowly catching up. The lower the rear-end gears the faster the
low-end acceleration but you'll sacrifice top-end for lower gears. Depends
on how fast you want to go. Initially, you won't be able to go faster than
the speed limiter will let you go (~112-115 mph) and you won't be able to
rev your engine beyond the rev limiter speed. Buying an HP PCM or having
your stock one modified will change all that. 3.55 gears if you want mpg.
3.92 gears if you want better acceleration or you're going to tow. 4.10
gears if you're towing real heavy or considering the track.

Ron
00 PB SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD