Re: The Bubble's Popped

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Jan 04 2001 - 12:22:20 EST

At 08:13 PM 1/3/01 +0000, you wrote:
><snip>
>While I have it in the shop I'm going to have them check out an
>intermittent dieseling problem. Seems sometimes the truck runs on for a
>second or two when I turn off the ignition. So as not to be totally
>clueless when I drop the truck off, does anyone have any idea what might be
>causing this. All I can remember from a long time ago is it has something
>to due with timing, however, as I have learned from this list, the computer
>controls the engine timing (does the computer need to be reset?). I was
>planning to bring this problem up this week before I took it to the dealer.
>The recall just accelerated my getting the dieseling problem looked at.
>Miles Harris III

Hi, Miles

Timing is one of the common causes of dieseling. When I have my '96 MP
PCM on my '97, it will sometimes diesel. It will not diesel on my '97 OEM
and '97 MP PCMs because the timing on the '96 MP PCM is more advanced than
on these other computers.

You may want to also check all your plugs. Heavy carbon deposits can become
so hot that it will ignite the a/f mixture after the ignition has been
turned off.
Deposits in the combustion chambers can also cause dieseling.

These last two would seem unlikely because your Dak is an '01.

If your plugs turn out to be really fouled up, you may want to try plugs that
are one range hotter so that they will burn off the deposits better.

Good luck!

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 Dakota Sport, 4x2, CC, Flame red, 5.2L, auto., 3.92SG