The "Unbreakable" Autolock

From: Chris Ryan (CSRyan@teleport.com)
Date: Sat Jan 06 2001 - 15:04:35 EST

Anyone heard of this? I got one for Christmas. Now that my truck is so
tricked out if it were stolen I couldn't get nearly my investment back
from my insurance company. My truck spends a lot of time in dirt parking
lots at trail heads in state forests and beaches, with me miles away
most of the time. If someone wanted it they'd have plenty of time to
work on it. My alarm has a "kill switch" and supposedly the truck can't
be started once the alarm has been triggered, which is good most of the
time but never gave me total peace of mind when I was out in the middle
of nowhere. So I started using The Club in addition to the alarm when I
was in a sketchy area. I know, I know, The Club is easily compromised
but it'll slow them down 20 seconds or so. So now I get this Autolock
which attaches to your brake pedal, preventing it from being depressed,
the principal being that you have to depress the brake to engage the
tranny. I figure between the alarm, The Club, and The Autolock, even in
an isolated location any potential thief would see all that crap and
just bypass the truck not wanting to waste the time.

But to my surprise my Dak doesn't need the brake pedal depressed to
engage the tranny, with the motor started you can just drop it into any
gear. A skilled driver can steer with his (or her) right hand, operate
the throttle with the right foot, hold the parking brake release with
the left hand, and feather the parking brake pedal with the left foot,
not needing to touch the brake pedal with The Autolock attached. Of
course most car thieves probably wouldn't realize this and wouldn't
attempt it, but still, it's lame.

So I'm wondering if it's just my shifter. Can everyone else just drop
your shifter into gear without depressing the brake pedal? Those with
auto trannys that is.