Re: Breather tube removal?? (HELP)!!!!!

From: Miles Harris (spikes_duall@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2001 - 17:44:02 EST

Without knowing your truck, I would assume those hoses are part of your
Positive Crankcase Ventilation system (PCV). I believe the first smog
devices required on cars. If in fact they are part of the PCV system, the
answer would be no.

Before the PCV system cars had a vented oil filler cap or in the case of my
50 Chevy, just little vents in the valve cover. They also had a breather
tube coming out of the crankcase with a tube bent down toward the road.
Fresh air would come into through the valve cover and push blow-by gases
out through the breather tube.

The PCV system with the PCV valve takes those blow-by gases and feeds them
back into the intake manifold to be burned off during the combustion
process. The hose running from your air-hat to the valve cover is feeding
air into the valve cover, not putting hot air into your air-hat so removing
the tube is not going to get you the results you desire.

I've taxed my memory enough. Hope this helps

--
Miles Harris III
Simi Valley, CA

Nospiratus@aol.com wrote in article <40.67cdff7.27a0a0ca@aol.com>... > While working on my 98 318 Dakota today, I noticed that off of each valve