Re: 4 Cyl Gas Mileage? / Tach ideas

From: Miles Harris (spikes_duall@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 26 2001 - 12:54:17 EST

My new truck got 20.4 on the first tank. Next tank was 18.99. yo-yoed up
and down for the first 5 or six tank from low of 18.5 to a high of 22.3
(allot of the inconsistent mpg might be due to the different shut-off's at
the gas stations pumps and to a certain extent the air temperature at the
time of filling up the tank). This was about a 60/40 mixture of
highway/city

My truck is just about to the 6000 mile mark and I'm consistently getting
just under 22 mpg. Your mileage should improve as the engine gets broken
in. My overall average so far is 20.957 (I'm a bit anal and have created a
access database to track my mpg as well as my maintenance). My best mileage
was 25.4 on a all highway run where I tried to keep at or under 65 mph

My truck has a tach. To try to keep gas mileage up, I try to shift when the
shift arrow comes on (city driving, getting on the freeway I ignore the
light). The light comes on at about 2000 rpm. Shifting without a tach, I
would go with every 10 mph if you are trying to get your best mileage (out
of 1st @ 10mph, 2nd @ 20mph, 3rd @ 30mph, 4th @ 40mph) This will match
approximately the 2000 rpm up-shift light.

--
Miles Harris III
Simi Valley, CA

"Alek Benedict" <alek@earthling.net> wrote in article <KHEPKNIADOPGGADEMIKLKEDHCCAA.alek@earthling.net>... > Hey folks - > > Quick question for those of you with the 2.5L I4 > trucks - what is your average gas mileage? I've > had my truck for two fillups now and have gotten > 19.8 MPG and 19.6 MPG. Needless to say, I'm not > incredibly impressed. > > I probably rev the engine more than necessary > [no real way to tell, no tach*] but I would think > it should at least get 22-23 MPG. What's the > word, folks? > > * = Speaking of, in the next few months I plan on > adding a tach. Any suggestions? Aftermarket, or > try to get one from a junkyard? If aftermarket, > any mounting location ideas? > > Thanks everyone! > > -- > Alek Benedict with a techno beat. >