Re: My headlights are too dim

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sat Jan 27 2001 - 11:32:59 EST

> It's seemed like lately my headlights are getting really dim and
> yellow. No electrical changes to the truck at all. Even with the
> driving lights AND headlights on, I'm just not happy. Maybe it's
> because the snow's been melting and there's dust all over the roads from
> it, there's no good reflecting surfaces. But anyway, I'm just
> disappointed with the brightness of my headlights.
>
> Or, could this be a sign of larger electrical problems looming?
>
> What's the brightest, non-ricer bulbs I can legally put in my Dak, both
> headlights & driving lights? None of those HID-wannabe blue lights or
> anything like that.

Andy,
Stock halogen bulbs, #9004 in my trucks case, are rated at 45watts low beam
and 65 watts high beam. Not sure how good GenIII Dakota headlights
effectively light up the road, but I know my GenII lights suck, plain and
simple. I tried the 80watts low beam/100watt high beam bulbs many times, and
they never last more than a few months. I am currently running Phillips 9004
Vision Care bulbs, which is supposed to put out 30% more light onto the
road, yet still remain within the stock wattage.

I love how my truck's auxil. Hella XLs(rectangle 5x7s) light up the road.
These have a an H3 55watts bulb in them, and do an exceptional job of
shooting out a nice and wide pattern on the road. I run these all the time
when driving at night. Or course, if the stock headlights and the Hella XLs
dont cut it, I just flip on the Hella 500s. These are a 6" round light,
which came with an H3 55watt halogen bulbs. I took these out and replaced
them with H3 100watts bulbs, and they really make the road shine. They are
also nice for letting someone know you didnt like being cut off :)
Like you, I dont use any blue/yellow/or green tinted bulbs, just the plain
old clear glass works great for me. Maybe some auxil. lights are in y our
future? Dont you have the lower 'fog lights' in your trucks's lower air
damn? Do these help? Maybe try going up a few watts in either the main
beams, the fog lights, or even both. Like I said though, I havent had good
luck with higher wattage bulbs in my trucks front end. I am running 50watt
halogen reverse bulbs, for 5+ years now, and love em. Go figure!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6