Re: Re: Bucking/Loss of Power

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Jan 28 2001 - 16:32:14 EST

> How many miles are on the motor? This sounds like how my problems with my
V6
> started. Were you accelerating slightly? Maybe pulling a small grade? Pull
> your dist. cap and see how much play there is in the rotor rotationally.
> There should not be much. Anyhow this is how my problems started.
Eventually
> it degraded to where I could make the problem occur. Stumped many
mechanics.
> Finally found that the distributor drive gear had worn severely. There is
> service bulletin concerning the dist. drive gear if you check out
nhtsa.com.

Paul,
Thanks for the input. This really sounds like what I have been experiencing.
The engine has 135,500 miles on it. When the noise and loss of power does
occur, it happens only during acceleration, and it also has happened to me
when getting onto the ramp to enter the highway, which does have a grade or
incline to it. Can you elaborate on how to check the play in the rotor you
describe? Do you mean the drive gear itself on the end of the distributor?
If this is indeed the problem, would it require a new distributor or can I
just replace the drive gear? Thanks alot.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6