RE: what to do after porting?

From: Wisotzkey, Rich (Rich.Wisotzkey@gd-wts.com)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 11:03:58 EST

Chris,
All depends on your economic state of mind. You don't need to do a valve
job unless you catch one of the valve seats with your grinder, or unless you
want more air flow. It would seem to be academic that you would want to do
a valve job since your going to the trouble of cleaning up the bowls.

Regarding the seals, I would replace them. New valve seals will run fifty
couple dollars for both the intake and exhaust. I'm working my heads right
now, and I am replacing mine and they only have 53Kmi. on them. I would
rather spend the fifty couple bucks now, than have to take the covers and
rockers off later to replace them.

I'll agree with you, it is a loud and dirty job; heavy too. I'm stopping
tonight on the way home to purchase a new "decent" respriator and closed set
of goggles. Think I'm going to stick some plugs in my ears too! (Hello, did
you say something dear?) :'B

I do have a question for you. Are you reworking the cylinder domes as well
as your bowls? I was going to before I started, but now I'm not so sure
anymore.
Give me a holler if you have any questions, I'll try to help if I can.
Good-luck,
Rich - Ashburn, VA