Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Oil Consumption

From: Ray Sulich (ray.sulich@snet.net)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 17:51:35 EST

At 01:51 PM 2/16/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>But it's more than just the oil. It fouls plugs which affects performance.
>It may be more than one valve guide. It may be more than valve guides,
>period. If I were using a qt every 3000 miles I would definitely get it
>fixed. My 93 Caravan with 162,000 miles and a tiny, tiny leak at the rear
>main won't use a ½ qt every oil change (4,000 miles). If I had to rip
>things apart to do it, fine. I'll do the appropriate overhauls at this time
>to rectify both the oil problem and maybe new valves or whatever else it
>needs while I have it apart. No matter what, I'll end up with a better
>engine and I'll sleep better.....but that's me. You can continue the extra
>qt every 3,000 miles....hmmm...when do you change it?

Tell me this..... would you replace the rear main bearing oil seal for a qt
every 3k oil usage due to a leak? I certainly wouldn't. Way too much work
for a qt every 3k. I change the oil at 3k anyway. If I had to add oil
between oil changes.... maybe..... but probably not. It's not worth
dropping the oil pan, dropping the crankshaft down a little and replacing
the seal. Rebuilding an engine for 1 qt of oil usage (in 3k miles) is a
waste of good money. I don't think I would even pull a valve cover for
that usage rate.

Bye,
Ray

reply to ray.sulich@snet.net