RE: Water Pump Update; Still Leaking

From: Jon Smith (jon@fast4x4.net)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2001 - 07:11:59 EST

thems things are a pain! How badly is it leaking? If it's just a trickle,
you can usually loosen the clamp-down bolt and move the tube around enough
to stop the leak (I'm sure you're already tried that though...) Is the tube
damaged? You may need to order a new one, although I don't know how
expensive they are. The stock o-ring does look tiny, you may wanna try
going to a hardware store and buying a same I.D. O ring, but has a larger
material diameter...

______________________
Jon Smith--Raleigh, NC
   www.fast4x4.net
   jon@fast4x4.net
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

-
-Well after 7 hours of working on my truck today trying to get the leaking
-water pump fixed, it is still leaking. Dont ask please why it took 7 hours
-either! :)
-The old water pump was indeed leaking out of the wheep hole and everything,
-including the fan/fan clutch came off very easily. The hard part was
-transferring the stock metal heater pipe from the old one to the new one. I
-finally had to take it to a friends house for him to use his torch on the
-stock water pump to heat it up, I dont see how they think the stock pipe
-will come out otherwise. I tried everything before finally asking him. He
-heated the pump up for about 10 seconds and out came the metal heater pipe.
-This metal pipe has a groove in it where an o-ring goes, which
-came with the
-new water pump. I put the o ring on and tapped it down into the water pump,
-noting a line I marked to so I knew how far into the pump it had to go. I
-put everything back on, checked the coolant level and fired the truck up,
-only to have a nice leak from this metal heater pipe; coolant is
-coming from
-where the pipe goes into the pump. It did seem like th o-ring which came
-with the new pump was puny, so I am going to run by the dealer tomorrow and
-see if I can buy this o-ring and hopfully it will be thicker. Any clues how
-how else to seal this heater pipe to the pump?????????? Other than the
-o-ring, is there any thing else that needs to be put on to
-additionally help
-seal this frigin pipe?? Looks like I am getting a ride to work tomorrow.
-Kyle
-93 Dakota 4x4 V6
-
-